They say that art imitates life so it is no wonder that so many fashion designers take their inspiration from gardens. When haute couture meets horticulture a dazzling array of floral designed fabrics and organic shaped garments are paraded on the catwalks in style. Floral fashion is not an idea of the past, the Spring /Summer 2015 Chanel Catwalk in Paris was Bloom themed couture as imaged by fashion heavyweight Karl Lagerfield.
‘Hauticulture’ - Fashion Advice for your garden.
Like gardens, fashion follows seasonal trends and has to reinterpret and reinvent itself each season to be appropriate to the weather and current on trend ideas. Some of the rules about fashion and how to design clothing can also apply when considering the design of your garden.
Whether you are a dedicated follower of fashion and follow London Fashion week, or just love peeking at the fantastic dresses at the Oscars, it is possible to bring some haute couture glamour into any garden space. If you find your eye being drawn to one specific designer, like Alexander McQueen, known for his alternative styling and avant-garde approach, then add elements of his style into your outdoor space. Remember fashion is not always about outlandish items, if you love the fabrics from Liberty then this can be translated into a pretty cottage garden.
Ways to incorporate fashion trends in your suburban garden:
- Invest in and stick to a planting schedule. This will ensure your garden changes and reflects the current season. If you have want your garden to reflect a specific look, for example old Hollywood glamour, then planning in advance will ensure you pick plants which have a luxe velvety texture and deep romancing colours while ensuring your garden looks full and lush throughout the year.
- Use fabrics from your favourite designer or repurpose your vintage fashion to create runners, cushions and other tactile items for your outdoor seating & lounging areas.
- Styling is as important in the garden as it is on the catwalk. Adding sculptural pieces, outdoor art, interesting paving or seating areas and above all lighting will really make your garden stand out and create a great base for the future.
- Smaller styling item like matching your napkin colour to your main flower colour will really go a long way in bringing any fashion forward garden together.
- Go bold and find the drama with structural plants, interestingly shaped flowers or striking contrasting colour schemes. Tactile plants can also add an extra dimension to a garden.
- Remember Haute Couture is all about the detailing – the small fine details that add up to more than the sum of its parts. Ensure that you have considered the aesthetics of your hose pipe, wheelie bins and other necessary but not necessarily beautiful garden items and how they will interact with your space. If they can’t be incorporated, then consider where will they be housed?
- No fashion garden would be complete without a thought to perfume. When considering the beauty of the bloom ensure that some plants are chosen for their scent to add depth and layering to your garden experience.
The best way to translate your garden ideas into an outdoor space that you will love and cherish for years to come is to speak to an experienced garden designer who will work with you to create a very special place. Fashion is an ever changing concept with very few rules and is very much in the eye of the beholder. This makes taking inspiration from the designer or designers that you favour a great place to start when looking for garden inspiration.
Contact us today to discuss your garden design ideas.